2 tablespoons olive oil
1 tablespoon butter
1 cup diced carrots
½ cup diced yellow onion
½ cup diced green peppers
½ cup diced sweet bell peppers
½ cup diced fennel
1 medium diced jalapeno pepper, (optional)
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
6 cups unsalted chicken broth
2 cups Yukon gold potatoes, peeled and diced
½ teaspoon kosher salt
¼ teaspoon ground white or black pepper
1/8 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
1 cup milk
1 cup 4 ounces shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
½ cup, 2 ounces shredded Gruyére or Swiss cheese
1. In a large Dutch oven, heat oil and butter over MEDIUM heat.
2. Add carrots, onions, green peppers, bell peppers, fennel and jalapeno peppers, and cook the vegetables 5-7 minutes, or until tender and fragrant.
3. Sprinkle flour over the vegetables and stir. Cook another 30 seconds while stirring.
4. Add the chicken broth and potatoes; stir well.
5. Bring the soup to a boil, and reduce heat to MEDIUM-LOW.
6. Simmer the soup, uncovered, 15 minutes or until potatoes are tender.
7. Reduce heat to LOW; add salt, ground pepper, nutmeg and milk. Stirring often, cook an additional 5 minutes.
8. Add shredded cheese and stir until the cheese melts.
9. Serve with toasty slices of French or Italian bread.